Friday, November 7, 2008

Shelly's finally here - October 2, 2008

After two months apart I finally arrive at the Zurich airport with Roo in hand. It was a long trip (Cincinnati to Detroit to Amsterdam and finally ending in Zurich). Unfortunately Roo had to travel in a compartment under the plane for two of those legs.

I was in my seat and ready for the last leg of the trip (Amsterdam to Zurich) when the stewardess came up to me and asked, "Are you traveling with a dog"? The first thing that came into my head was "OH MY GOD!! What happened to my dog"? She explained that Roo was in her cage at the back of the plane and wanted to see if I wanted to sit by her. Well of course I did, so I traded places with a nice man in the last row of seats and Roo was strapped in next to me.


When the two of us FINALLY arrived at the Zurich airport it took some time to get to the exit but all of a sudden we saw Mike. There was a glass wall dividing us and that was like water torture. I finally went through customs (with not a single person looking at the dog or her paper work) and met with a big hug and kiss, like the movies. Roo went crazy when she caught his scent and wanted out of that cage as fast as she possible could. This task became every interesting because I had secured her cage with a zip tie so she would be safe. Since I was flying I of course did not have scissors to cut her free and it happened to be the first time “Eugene” was without is pocketknife. We finally found a nice lady at the newsstand that let us borrow a pair of scissors. We got Roo out and she was so cute with her excitement to see Mike. Mike told me later that she had seen him through the glass barrier and recognized him even then; he said that it was very heartbreaking. So after two long months we were all back together again.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Whoohoo! The blogs are back - and this time in multiples! Keep them coming! I keep checking in. Glad you guys are re-united! If you hadn't heard, Mark and I got engaged a few weeks ago! Ok, that is definitely my fair share of exclamation marks.