Tuesday, June 30, 2009

st malo

As mentioned, Shelly was hoping for some seafood. I drug out the Laptop out did a quick search, and St. Malo was known for having a high concentration of seafood resteraunts... so we hopped on the train! ...


...and shell got some seafood. This was our last stop before returning home.

French seafood was not really what we expected. Shelly watched in awe as little girls at the table behind us pulled snails from the shell with 'snail pokers' and gobbled them up. Shrimps came with legs, feelers, and little black eyes looking up at you from your plate.

My French stinks, so when it came to ordering I managed to order skate:


It looked like a piece of fish... but when I took a bite into it there were all these finger-like bones, and I was making a small scene crunching into them, because the tables are really close together-you dine with strangers. It tasted really good, and was totally eatable once I figured out how to strip off the bone layer. The French couple sitting next to us were pretty amused. A little too amused. Shelly was a little uptight about them laughing at us behind their napkins, but stuff like that doesn't bother me. In retrospect I should have eaten with my hands, used a straw for the wine, and then maybe offered them some of the skate bones.

St. Malo is a pretty cool port town. It was all bombed out in WWII, but they rebuilt it to the old style. Theres a really cool castle on the beach...


and a nifty old fortress out in the water.


We walked around the town at night, had some wine and such, and I have a million blurry at-night photos. We were chased around by a bat for a minute. Woke the next morning, ate a Crepe, bought a baguette and a bottle of St. Malo specialty hard cider, and started the trek home!

No comments: